Parent Communication

Wednesday, August 8, 2018
It's said that communication is the key to any relationship. When it comes to the parent/teacher relationship, I have to agree. There are a few ways I keep my parents up-to-date on what's happening in our class.

Weekly Newsletter: 

I send out a weekly newsletter on Monday mornings. In it I outline what we'll be doing this week in each subject. I do this to help stimulate the conversation between parents and children. Instead of "How was school?" "Fine." They can instead ask "What did you learn about the moon today?" Typically teachers send home newsletters at the end of the week and by then, students have filed away what they learned. I like encouraging that conversation about what's happening each day. In the newsletter I also include important announcements and upcoming events.

The newsletter gets send out as a Google Doc. The great thing about this is that it's easy to update, it's colorful and fun (saves ink!), and the link never changes so parents can bookmark it and find it at anytime. I do send out a link each Monday letting them know it's been updated.

Remind:

Image result for remind I use Remind.com to send quick reminders or announcements. For example, the night before a field trip, I send out a reminder of anything special they need to bring. Sometimes, I send out reminders about a test or homework assignment due. 

Parents can install the app on their phone and get the messages through that, or they can get them through a text message. The great thing is that my phone number is not included, so parents don't get access to it. They can message me through the app, which I heard a lot of positive feedback about.



Keeping parents informed about what's happening in our classroom has been essential for me. Here are a few reasons:
  1. CYA:  There have been a few cases where parents have been upset about not knowing about something. Thankfully, I can refer back to my weekly emails to show that they were informed. 
  2. Digital = More Eyes on the Newsletter: Let's face it, kids backpacks are like black holes and when you put important stuff in it, it doesn't always make it into the parents hands. Digital newsletters and Remind allow the information to go straight to a parent's smartphone where they can read it anywhere. 
  3. More engagement: I noticed a big increase in parent engagement with digital vs. paper newsletters. 
Keeping parents informed about their student is so important! Education is a team effort and without amazing parent support, my students would not be as successful. I work to find the best ways to send out information to them because as a parent I know how crazy life can be and how easy it is to forget permission slips or field trips. 

14 comments

  1. That's really neat! I know that my son's classes have always sent home printed weekly newsletter-type things, but I don't often see them. (See "black holes" above.) It looks really simple to keep this updated so that parents know what is going on in class and stay involved! I've used Remind, too, and it is definitely very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really simple to update each week. It takes about 10 minutes and most of that is tracking down math info from 3-4 other teachers. (we share kids for math across 5th & 6th grades)

      Delete
  2. I love that you send a digital letter. My son's all get printed ones, and they/I tend to lose them sometimes. I teach high school, so newsletters would take a lot of effort for me to create considering I teach 4 preps. Also, parents are exactly as involved as they are in elementary and middle school. I use remind for my students in my classroom, and many times I will have a few parents sign up, as well. Keeping parents informed is definitely necessary even in high school. I mainly use email when contacting my parents unless they ask for a phone call. - Haley Oyervidez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Communicating with parents in high school is super important! I so appreciate it when my girls teachers take the time to do it!!! I think when you send out info, it helps them be involved. It takes me about 10 minutes to write up info on 4 math classes, science, social studies, reading, writing, spelling, language, upcoming events, and class announcements.

      Delete
  3. I am coming from an elementary background and sent home a weekly update with my students on Fridays. It's interesting that when I moved to the middle school level, I am one of very few teachers in my building who sends out a parent newsletter (mine is every other week). I would think with the student having multiple daily teachers a newsletter would be more common at the middle schools. I'm hoping to use a blog to communicate with parents this year and will also link it in a weekly e-mail. I'll have to check out Remind and maybe make use of that as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a shock when my oldest when from elementary where we had SO MUCH communication, to jr. high and all communication stopped. Even an every other week email would have been so nice. You could use Remind to let parents know a new blog post is up!

      Delete
  4. For my 6th graders I send out a weekly email sharing what we have studied and what we will be moving towards. I also send out a separate email 3-5 days before a test. For my 8th graders I take a step back and allow them to be more responsible. I do send out an intro for each of our units (6 per year) as well as a email 1 week before each of our 4 tests, which I include the review guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you send stuff out to parents. I agree that students need to be responsible, so that is a good way to facilitate that.

      Delete
  5. As a parent I would love this update-especially digitally. Sometimes parents are so overwhelmed with papers!!! Our schools newsletter is digital and sent monthly. I plan to continue my blog to keep parents informed about the library happenings. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog is a great way to communicate. I agree, sometimes the papers coming home is so crazy! It's easy to lose things. I like the digital because I can read it while waiting in line at the grocery store or during sports practices.

      Delete
  6. These are great ideas for parent communication. I have always sent a weekly email update, but I send them on Fridays. I really like your Google Doc newsletter. I think I may have to steal the idea and try it in my classroom this year. A living document would ensure that parents always have the most up to date information. I also used Remind last year and plan to continue using it. I always schedule a text to go out right after I've sent an email update. It's just one more way to help parents stay on the ball because a lot of them live in a world where checking email regularly is not a priority. Thanks for some new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really loved using a Google Doc. If I make a mistake, it's a quick fix. :) It's smart to schedule the Remind. With a Google link that never changes, it would make that so easy!

      Delete
  7. I love using the Remind App. It is simple. It seems like based on the year, a bigger percentage of parents actually use it. I agree, paper gets lost easier. Digital is often more useful. It's harder when parents don't have an email address.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great. I appreciate being informed and agree that the backpacks are like black holes. Is remind intended for parents only? I could definitely see the benefits of using this for sports teams as well. How long does it take you to create your weekly newsletter?

    ReplyDelete