Lesson Planning

Saturday, August 4, 2018
With school right around the corner for me, my brain has been kicking into high-gear about lesson plans for the first few weeks of school. I was chatting with my teacher friends over lunch today about what format we like for lesson plans: paper or digital.  They are very much die-hard paper planners and did not like their foray into the digital planner world last year. So I'm curious... what type of planner do you use?


What type of planner do you use?

paper
digital
Online Quiz Maker


I'm a digital planner through and through. Don't get me wrong, I drool over the cute printed planners out there and am guilty of buying them.... and then not using them. I guess for me, I find it easier to quickly type in the info instead of writing it out. I also really love being able to access my plans anywhere. I have the app on my phone as well as my school iPad, so checking on lessons or making changes is a breeze. I don't lug home a heavy teacher bag full of my planner and gradebook. Both are housed online. It's also been great with my class being 1:1, I'm grading more and more digital work from my students. 

My favorite digital planner is Planbook.com. I love that I can customize it to fit my needs. I can color code subjects to make the appearance of my book fit my personality.  I also use templates for different subjects so that when I go to enter my lesson, all I do is fill in the blanks. Super fast! 

This summer, Planbook won my heart over by allowing users to upload their own fonts to use. I am a total font junkie so this really made me happy! And finally, when it comes to sending my principal my weekly lesson plans, it's done because she already has access to it.

 

15 comments

  1. This is such an interesting post! I have had so many people ask me this recently and they are always surprised when I say paper. I am very techy so people question why I use a paper planner. I tried using digital planners but found I didn't keep up with them. The paper version however, I always keep up on and look at. I think Iike the tactile nature of a paper version. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting the variety of who likes which one. I don't think it's age either, just personality. I fell in love with Planbook two years ago when we had a "Snowpacolipse" and ended up with 8 snow days. Planbook allows you to "bump" lessons to future dates, so I did a lot of bumping over the course of 3 weeks. :)

      Delete
    2. I agree. I like technology, but when it comes to writing it on paper, it's just faster. I use a template, and insert important times, and consistent activities. Then I print it out into a notebook.

      Delete
  2. I am in love with PlanBook as well! I have been using it for the past few years along with several teachers in my building. I love having access to previous plans with a click or two. I will admit I keep a paper calendar for long term planning-but day to day is digital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our principal is requiring all teachers to use Planbook this year. I think some will really struggle with it and some will learn a new way of doing things.

      Delete
  3. I am really bad about buying paper planners and not using them too. I still buy one every year though =) I love the idea of PlanBook though. I will be looking into this for this school year. Thank you for the idea! - Haley Oyervidez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to resist those cute planners!!! I've seen a few that I was so tempted!

      Delete
  4. That's really interesting! I began keeping my lesson plans on my computer years ago, using Microsoft Office. I've never really changed, although sometimes I upload my plans to Google Drive. PlanBook looks really cute, though- I'll have to look into that. (I am also guilty of buying cute planners and notebooks and using them seldom or never....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Google Drive to store lessons as well. The features on Planbook won me over though.

      Delete
  5. When I left my job at the schools and worked from home as a contractor, I began to go digital with everything. I went digital with calendars, notes, even whiteboards. I just realized that it would allow me to work remotely on the road or wherever I was. When I stopped contracting and working from home earlier this year and got a position at the state department of ed., I felt like a complete outsider. Everyone still used paper for everything and I looked like the weird that showed up to meetings without a pen. I think my digital preference has allowed me to do more and like you said, I too love the pretty planners and sticky notes, but I just make it work for me. Thank you for sharing your post about Planbook. I will have to share with teachers that I know! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can feel awkward when you show up with a device and everyone else has a pen! Thankfully my school has come a long way in a short amount of time. Since they provided teachers with laptops last year, more and more are going paperless.

      Delete
  6. I am not currently teaching but I would definitely use a digital planner when I do go back. Planbook looks really intuitive and simple to use. What are some of the hesitations for your colleagues to go digital? I would think that going digital allows you to import or use the previous years plans. Does your school have a planner of choice? It would be great if the teachers used the same platform. I'm sure that would be easier for IT staff to provide support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are just comfortable with paper! Also, with Planbook, our principal checks in on our plans and I think that intimidates them. I'm an open book, so it doesn't bother me. This year, we're all required to use Planbook so everyone will have to get comfortable with it quickly.

      Delete
  7. I will have to look into Planbook. I normally use a paper planner since I love being able to color code everything (flair pens are my favorite) and it helps me remember more than digital does. However, I love grading digitally and have been doing a lot more of that, and it is been great. I've been debating on going completely digital and having something digital that both my husband and I can access when it comes to our own plans. So I will look into that programs as well as others that are not directly school related. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about those flair pens! I do like being able to customize my font and colors in Planbook. You can get a personal subscription that is not connected to the school. It's actually how I started using it, the my principal liked it so well she paid for it the following year.

      Delete