Back to School Checklist

Wednesday, July 11, 2018
In keeping with our back to school theme, let's look at a checklist of items to do before school starts. With teaching, preparation is key to a successful year. Here are 3 things you can do to make your year smoother.

1. Curriculum Map
 A curriculum map is a year-long map of what you will teach and when. This isn't a super detailed map, instead it is more of a general plan of addressing your standards throughout the year. My principal requires it so I found a few examples on Pinterest and Teachers-Pay-Teachers and ended up modifying this one. I print it off and have it posted above my desk to reference as I lesson plan each week.


2. First Week of School Team Building

Building a solid culture in your classroom is essential and the first week of school is where it all begins. By 5th grade, most of the students have had a class with almost everyone in the room. But students have changed and grown and it's important to bring them all together as a family.

 Here are two of my favorites:
  • Index Card Challenge: In groups of 3, students get 100 index cards with the goal of building the tallest tower. They cannot use anything else, but they may fold or tear the cards. It must be completed in 3 minutes. 
  • Save Sam: Place a lifesaver under a clear cup and put a gummy worm on top. Give students 2 paperclips. Their goal is to get the lifesaver around Sam the gummy worm to keep him from drowning (meaning he cannot touch the desk). 

3. Procedures

Having solid procedures in place can make or break your year. The first week of school, take the time to explain it, model it, show the wrong way, and have the students practice it. Introduce several procedures each day of the first week, cycling back through previous ones to practice. From simple things such as when to go to the bathroom to important ones such as safety procedures, they all need to be explicitly taught. Make a list and check it off as you teach each one.




5 comments

  1. Amber,
    I LOVE the curriculum map! What a great idea and concept. The layout is very colorful and inviting and it provides an expectation, even with the tweaks that we all expect. This is an awesome tool! Thank you for sharing! Great post!
    Philomena :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the map. It helps me stay focused and hit all of my standards.

      Delete
  2. I have a calendar I use for all of my classes, but this curriculum map is swanky in its color-codedness. Wow.

    As for procedures and class culture, I teach high school students, and I think that is still drastically important in my classroom for the first week of school. If it isn't, the school year never goes the direction I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That saying (not idea who originally said it)"Teach procedures the first week, or suffer all year" does ring true. When that class culture is solid, your whole year goes so much better.

      Delete
  3. Amber, the inclusion of short annotations is always critical to help the reader understand why you chose to include certain items over others.

    ReplyDelete